September is Healthy Aging Month, which is a great opportunity to focus on the overall well-being of your skin. Did you know that as we age, aside from those annoying fine lines and wrinkles that pop up, the risk for skin cancer also increases? The Skin Cancer Foundation estimates that by the age of 70, roughly 1 in 5 Americans will develop some form of skin cancer.
That’s why it’s so important to stay on top of the health of your skin. Here are some ways to do just that:
- Avoid the sun between 10am and 4pm. This is when the sun peaks in the sky and UV rays are at their strongest.
- Wear sunscreen daily. Even on cloudy, winter days, harmful UV rays are still prevalent. We recommend our patients wear a broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30, reapplying every two hours.
- If outside for extended periods, wear a hat with a wide brim. This will not only provide shade for your face but also increased protection from sun exposure.
- Regular skin examinations. We recommend our patients get their skin checked for any cancerous lesions at least once a year. Patients with a history of skin cancer are advised to be seen more frequently.
- Avoid tanning. This one cannot be emphasized enough. Aside from increasing the risk of skin cancer, it can also contribute to speeding up the aging process.
These tips will not only help to keep your skin looking its best, but also decrease your risk of skin cancer. If you would like to schedule an appointment, call us at 716-688-0020 or click here.
Our skin is naturally built to repair, but sometimes things in our daily routine (ie. sun exposure) can still lead to premature skin aging and damage. That’s why regularly using a product containing vitamin C, an antioxidant that our bodies do not naturally produce, can be so beneficial.
As one of the best anti-aging ingredients out there, vitamin C is also a natural sun protectant. Because of this, we encourage our patients to apply it first thing in the morning. And regular use can even promote collagen growth! It is important to note, however, that vitamin C for the skin must be properly formulated. If not, the benefits will not be as significant. That’s why we like SkinCeuticals vitamin C antioxidants. Their line in particular goes through a rigorous development process that ensures optimal results (all of their vitamin C serums are backed by 30 years of antioxidant research and demonstrated efficacy in independent clinical studies).
As you can see, vitamin C is an essential ingredient in any skincare regimen. Call our office or click here to find out which of SkinCeuticals vitamin C serums is right for you.
Here at the Lisa S. Ball, NP Building we are committed to providing our patients with the latest and most advanced treatments in skin rejuvenation. The Sublative RF Skin Tightening in particular is probably the most cutting-edge.
Rather than using laser or light, this procedure harnesses radio frequency energy. The radio frequency energy heats up the underlying layers of skin, stimulating collagen production, leading to more youthful looking skin. Many patients have a noticeable improvement immediately after being treated, and the skin actually continues to improve over the next few months as collagen production increases. In as little as 3-4 treatments, Sublative RF Skin Tightening provides effective acne scar treatment, anti-wrinkle treatment and overall rejuvenation and toning of the skin.
Our patient after four Sublative RF Skin Tightening treatments.
If you would like to learn more about the process or would like to schedule a free consultation contact our office today.