September is Healthy Aging Month, which is a great opportunity to focus on the overall well-being of your skin. Did you know that as we age, aside from those annoying fine lines and wrinkles that pop up, the risk for skin cancer also increases? The Skin Cancer Foundation estimates that by the age of 70, roughly 1 in 5 Americans will develop some form of skin cancer.
That’s why it’s so important to stay on top of the health of your skin. Here are some ways to do just that:
- Avoid the sun between 10am and 4pm. This is when the sun peaks in the sky and UV rays are at their strongest.
- Wear sunscreen daily. Even on cloudy, winter days, harmful UV rays are still prevalent. We recommend our patients wear a broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30, reapplying every two hours.
- If outside for extended periods, wear a hat with a wide brim. This will not only provide shade for your face but also increased protection from sun exposure.
- Regular skin examinations. We recommend our patients get their skin checked for any cancerous lesions at least once a year. Patients with a history of skin cancer are advised to be seen more frequently.
- Avoid tanning. This one cannot be emphasized enough. Aside from increasing the risk of skin cancer, it can also contribute to speeding up the aging process.
These tips will not only help to keep your skin looking its best, but also decrease your risk of skin cancer. If you would like to schedule an appointment, call us at 716-688-0020 or click here.
As summer winds down and the school year begins, everyone wants clear skin to start out the semester. So, what can you do to get it? We recommend one of our most popular treatments, the HydraFacial!
What is a HydraFacial?
The HydraFacial is a medical-grade treatment that deeply cleanses, extracts, and hydrates the skin.
How can the HydraFacial help with acne & blemishes?
During the process, pores are cleansed and debris is removed from the skin. This allows for better penetration of skincare products, which in turn, provides a highly effective treatment for acne and blemishes.
Who is a candidate for the HydraFacial?
The HydraFacial is suitable for patients of all ages (12 and up) and for any skin type.
Does it hurt?
No. The HydraFacial is a gentle, non-invasive treatment.
When are results seen?
Results are seen immediately after treatment. Most patients describe their skin after treatment as having a fresh, vibrant glow.
To learn more about the HydraFacial and how it can help your skin, contact our office today.
With Thanksgiving this week, there are sure to be plenty of delicious dishes on the horizon. And while overindulgence may be an unwritten rule of the holiday, it’s not all bad because some of those same foods can also be good for your skin. That’s right! It turns out that some turkey day staples can help your skin. So, we put together a list of some foods that your skin will be thankful for:
- Sweet Potatoes. They are full of vitamin C, which can help to smooth out wrinkles by stimulating the production of collagen.
- Green beans. Contains antioxidants that are very beneficial to anti-aging.
- Pumpkin. Rich in vitamins A, C, and E which help to protect the skin.
- Cinnamon. Helps to improve circulation and can help prevent acne.
- Cranberries. Contains vitamin C and antioxidants which can keep skin firm and prevent wrinkles.
- Apples. Excellent source of mandelic acids, which helps to reduce skin discolorations.
- Carrots. Loaded with beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights against the effects of aging.
So, remember, as you’re enjoying your meal this Thanksgiving, your skin may be benefiting as well!
The skin is the largest organ and is vital in protecting our body. That’s why keeping it healthy is of the utmost importance. With November being National Healthy Skin Month, there is never a better time to explore some ways to keep your skin in the best of health all year round.
•Determine your skin type (oily, dry, combination, normal or sensitive) then choose appropriate skin care products specifically tailored to that type.
• Wash your face every day using a mild, fragrance-free cleanser with lukewarm water. Don’t forget after exercising as well!
• Moisturize daily by applying a lotion or cream while your skin is still damp from bathing. This helps to lock in moisture and gets the best results.
• Protect your skin from the sun by seeking shade, wearing protective clothing and using a broad-spectrum, water resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
• Examine your skin regularly for suspicious or unusual spots which could be a sign of skin cancer. Keep a lookout for anything changing, itching or bleeding.
If you notice anything suspicious on your skin, or if you have a question about skin care, give our office a call today.
Source: The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
As you may know, facials are a great way to restore your youth and improve your skin’s overall radiance. The Pumpkin Facial, now available at our office (for a limited time), takes it to another level!
Containing pumpkin enzymes and salicyclic acid, this nutritive treatment addresses thick, resilient skin with acne and sun damage. It can also help soften and soothe the skin, boosting collagen production and preventing the signs of aging. Your skin will be left feeling refreshed and revitalized with a healthy complexion after treatment.
If you would like to learn more about the Pumpkin Facial or would like to schedule an appointment call our office at 716-688-0020 today!