With the transition to cooler weather this time of year, we usually see an influx of patients dealing with dry, irritated skin (part of the reason why October is Eczema Awareness Month). And no area more common than the hands. Since they’re used so often for many different things, it’s no wonder! So, what can you do to better protect and treat the skin in this area? We recommend a great moisturizing product. Below are some of our favorites.
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. This fragrance-free cream contains hyaluronic acid that helps to lock in moisture, helping to improve the overall hydration in the process.
- Cetaphil PRO Dry Skin Eczema Soothing Moisturizer. This lotion is more targeted for eczema and really helps to soothe the itchy, irritation that comes with the condition.
- O’Keefe’s Working Hands Hand Cream. This is one of our favorites because of how effective it is. Typically for the more extreme cases but anyone can benefit from using it.
If these products don’t help relieve your symptoms or if they worsen, contact the skincare experts at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
Fall is here and that means leaves changing colors, cozy hoodies, and pumpkin everything. Despite some of those things that make the season so great, the cooler, drier weather that comes with them is not the best for our skin. That’s why this time of year, it’s important to adjust your skincare routine. Here are some ways to do just that:
- Use an exfoliator. Exfoliating helps to remove any dead skin cells, which in turn, improves the overall appearance of the skin. We recommend the SkinCeuticals Micro-Exfoliating Scrub because it’s gentle enough to use daily without causing any irritation to the skin.
- Avoid long showers. Limit your time spent in the shower to 5-10 minutes. This will help minimize the removal of the skin’s natural oils which are crucial in preventing it from drying out.
- Moisturize daily. This is important to do right after you get out of the shower as it helps to lock in any moisture. PCA Skin Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Serum is a great option as its buttery soft texture seals in moisture and helps to replenish any that may be needed. If extra hydration is needed, try using a heavier base cream.
- Wear an SPF daily. Even though it’s typically not as sunny as other times of the year, harmful UV rays are still present and sunscreen should be worn at all times. We love the SkinCeuticals Daily Brightening UV Defense SPF 30. Not only because it’s an effective sunscreen but it also helps in fading any skin discolorations.
- Drink lots of water. It’s important not only to moisturize on the outside but on the inside as well. Staying hydrated will help flush out any toxins and promote overall healthier skin.
Follow these tips and your skin shouldn’t fall victim to the harsh weather of the season. If you do however find yourself with concerns, contact the skincare professionals at Lisa S. Ball NP today!
Being the body’s largest organ, the skin plays a crucial role in protecting and keeping it safe. That’s why it’s also important to make sure the skin remains healthy as well. And with November being National Healthy Skin Month, we thought this would be the perfect time to explore how to do just that.
- Determine your skin type. Whether it’s normal, dry, oily, combination, or sensitive, this correlates to what kind of skincare products to use. And in some cases, if you use the wrong ones, it can actually do more harm than good.
- Wash your face at least once a day. We recommend that our patients use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser using lukewarm water. This will provide gentle but effective results.
- Moisturize daily. Try applying a lotion or cream moisturizer after bathing/showering (while your skin is still wet). This helps to lock in the moisture and will get the best results.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Seek shade, wear protective clothing and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. All of which will help to prevent premature skin aging, wrinkling, and even skin cancer.
- Examine your skin regularly. Check for suspicious or unusual spots which could be a sign of skin cancer. Some things to look out for are anything that changes in appearance, itches, or bleeds.
Following the above tips will not only help to keep your skin looking its best but safe as well. If you would like to learn more, call us at 716-688-0020 or click here to schedule an appointment today.
With the weather changing and the sunlight waning, now is the perfect time to consider laser hair removal. Here are some reasons why.
- Sun exposure can be more easily avoided. With the days shorter, weather cooler, and more clothes needed, it’s much easier to avoid the sun this time of year. A must when having the treatment.
- More time to get treatments to get in. Anywhere from 6-12 total treatments are usually needed, spaced about 4-6 weeks apart. So, it is possible to complete treatment before sun exposure becomes an issue again.
- Results will be seen by Spring/Summer. By the time you get to the warmer months and more skin is showing, results will be noticeable by then.
As you can see, now is the best time to schedule laser hair removal treatment. Call us at 716-688-0020 or click here to schedule a complimentary consultation.
Here at Lisa S. Ball FNP in Buffalo, NY we have the LightSheer DUET device which provides patients with the fastest and most effective treatment for laser hair removal.
As summer winds down and the school year begins, everyone wants clear skin to start out the semester. So, what can you do to get it? We recommend one of our most popular treatments, the HydraFacial!
What is a HydraFacial?
The HydraFacial is a medical-grade treatment that deeply cleanses, extracts, and hydrates the skin.
How can the HydraFacial help with acne & blemishes?
During the process, pores are cleansed and debris is removed from the skin. This allows for better penetration of skincare products, which in turn, provides a highly effective treatment for acne and blemishes.
Who is a candidate for the HydraFacial?
The HydraFacial is suitable for patients of all ages (12 and up) and for any skin type.
Does it hurt?
No. The HydraFacial is a gentle, non-invasive treatment.
When are results seen?
Results are seen immediately after treatment. Most patients describe their skin after treatment as having a fresh, vibrant glow.
To learn more about the HydraFacial and how it can help your skin, contact our office today.
With Thanksgiving this week, there are sure to be plenty of delicious dishes on the horizon. And while overindulgence may be an unwritten rule of the holiday, it’s not all bad because some of those same foods can also be good for your skin. That’s right! It turns out that some turkey day staples can help your skin. So, we put together a list of some foods that your skin will be thankful for:
- Sweet Potatoes. They are full of vitamin C, which can help to smooth out wrinkles by stimulating the production of collagen.
- Green beans. Contains antioxidants that are very beneficial to anti-aging.
- Pumpkin. Rich in vitamins A, C, and E which help to protect the skin.
- Cinnamon. Helps to improve circulation and can help prevent acne.
- Cranberries. Contains vitamin C and antioxidants which can keep skin firm and prevent wrinkles.
- Apples. Excellent source of mandelic acids, which helps to reduce skin discolorations.
- Carrots. Loaded with beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights against the effects of aging.
So, remember, as you’re enjoying your meal this Thanksgiving, your skin may be benefiting as well!
As you may know, facials are a great way to restore your youth and improve your skin’s overall radiance. The Pumpkin Facial, now available at our office (for a limited time), takes it to another level!
Containing pumpkin enzymes and salicyclic acid, this nutritive treatment addresses thick, resilient skin with acne and sun damage. It can also help soften and soothe the skin, boosting collagen production and preventing the signs of aging. Your skin will be left feeling refreshed and revitalized with a healthy complexion after treatment.
If you would like to learn more about the Pumpkin Facial or would like to schedule an appointment call our office at 716-688-0020 today!